Basic Jewellery Care
Preserve that brand-new sparkle and shine by taking good care of your jewellery. While every piece of jewellery is made to be durable, varying levels of care are still required. For example, some jewellery pieces are especially vulnerable to household chemicals and extremely high temperatures, so these are best avoided. Cleaning jewellery presents special challenges. Follow the guidelines below to care for your jewellery.
We recommend you use a good quality jewellery cleaner. You will also need a very soft toothbrush to apply the cleaner and scrub gently. After cleaning your jewellery items, rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water and then dry with a soft cloth. Most jewellery items can be cleaned this way.
To ensure that your jewellery stays shiny and sparkling for as long as possible, we recommend that you store it separately from other items, as gemstones have a higher density than precious metals and your jewellery may be scratched if they are kept together. A soft cloth pouch or a jewellery box are good options for storing your jewellery.
While it’s true that gemstones such as rubies and sapphires are second only to diamonds on the hardness scale, it is not a measurement of their indestructibility. This means that gemstones are able to resist scratching almost as well as a diamond, but abrasive surfaces, harsh chemicals, and sharp blows can damage even the hardest gem.
Your jewellery should be the last thing you put on when getting dressed and the first thing you take off at the end of the night. Store your jewellery carefully and it will be enjoyed for generations.
Basic Do’s and Don’ts
• Do not use handwash or expose your jewellery to water
• Do not use harsh chemicals on your jewellery
• Only clean your jewellery with JEWELS FOR AFRICA Jewellery Cleaner
• Do not swim, shower or bath with your jewellery on
• Store your jewellery away from natural sunlight and heat
• Do not store your jewellery in the bathroom
• Please note that JEWELS FOR AFRICA gift boxes are not made for long-term storage as they are not air-tight and tarnishing will occur over time
Basic Jewellery Care